High Density HEVC 4K 10-BIT HDR Encoding
DESIGNED TO HELP OVERCOME TODAY’S HIGH DENSITY VIDEO WORKLOAD CHALLENGES WITH SMALLER FOOTPRINT
Kontron, 2nd July 2018 – With 4K / UHD fast becoming a standard feature among televisions and second screen devices, the amount of bandwidth and capacity required to support 4K and UHD workflows remains high. As business models and video standards change, operators find it increasingly difficult to differentiate themselves from competitors or upgrade their existing systems.
In response to demanding 4K and UHD workflows, Kontron has developed an integrated solution with partner Ittiam that is power efficient, easily reconfigurable and supplies all the necessary throughput and density to maximize an operator’s revenue per stream of high quality video.
The Ittiam HEVC software encoder on a Kontron SYMKLOUD MS2910 Converged Platform featuring INTEL® Iris™ Pro GPU acceleration enables service providers to implement costeffective architectures for transcoding UHD / 4K HDR video content.
ITTIAM AND KONTRON SOLUTION
The combined reference solution can transcode up to six (6) live 4Kp60 10-bit HDR video streams in a distributed model using up to 18 Intel Xeon E3-1500 Series processors. This is achieved using an external 2U server that supports INTEL® Xeon D processors that are connected to the INTEL® E3 Series processors with a high speed dedicated inter-platform connectivity (20-30G) per 4K60 channel. This hardware and software combination is the highest density solution for today’s high quality video content.
Ittiam HEVC Software Encoder operate on Kontron MSP8050 modular servers for edge encoding and just in time architectures. Just prior to last mile delivery, a single format file is distributed across the network and transcoded to individual profiles, reducing network egress and storage, while enabling the optimum profile to be created for each end device.
Instead of transcoding a large, predetermined set of file formats, the video distributor can transcode to the ideal format for the end-users, viewing device. Regardless of whether the device supports full UHD with 10-bit HDR, UHD only, or just HD, the viewing experience is guaranteed.
HIGH DENSITY 4K 10-BIT SCALABLE UP TO 8K
Using a single 2RU SYMKLOUD platform featuring nine (9) msp8050 modular server nodes, each with two (2) independant Intel Xeon E3-1500 series processors
Video, Broadcast, OTT
With UHD HDR content indisputably becoming the standard for today’s 4K televisions and second screen devices, service providers, broadcasters and network operators face the hefty challenge of managing the steep costs of encoding and high delivery bandwidth demands.
Combined commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) hardware and software solutions enable content distributers to utilize cost-effective architectures for UHD HDR video delivery.
- Highest density per RU on the market
- Best in class performance, scalable up to 8K
- Outstanding channel density for 4K HDR HEVC encoding
- Better user experience regardless of end device format (full UHD with 10-bit HDR, UHD only, or just HD)
- Encode up to 18 channels (4Kp30 10-bit HDR live video streams) on a single SYMKLOUD platform.
- Encode up to 6 channels (4Kp60 10-bit HDR live video streams) on a single SYMKLOUD platform.
- Projected to scale up to 1 channel (8kp60 10-bit HDR live video streams) on a single SYMKLOUD platform.
ITTIAM HEVC ENCODING
Ittiam offers premier software video encoding solutions for HEVC. When coupled with SYMKLOUD, the outcome achieved is the highest density per RU on the market, translating into a cost-effective broadcast quality solution for live streaming of UHD 4K HDR content. Additional applications include user-generated video encoding where high processing density and operational cost efficiency are required.
BEST IN CLASS PERFORMANCE
- Efficient hybrid CPU+GPU encoder
- 1 x 4Kp30 stream per single Xeon E3-1500 series
- Distributed 4Kp60 real time encoding
- Highly efficient ABR encoding
- Scalable up to 8K
- Configurable quality-speed presets
- Advanced algorithms for highest quality
- 2-pass encoding for offline content preparation (VOD)
- Multiple rate control modes
- Compatible with media transcoding workflows
- Efficient user, resource and job management
- Codec plug-ins for 3rd party workflows
KONTRON SYMKLOUD CONVERGED
SYMKLOUD series of converged platforms feature can support the integration of of modular hardware components (x86 CPU-GPU/FPGA/SDI) along with partner software that support small, medium and massively scalable deployments for OTT and video delivery use cases. These converged platforms can massively scale multiple and concurrent VNF, edge data center and video workloads for cloud and SDN/NFV infrastructure deployments — all on the same platform.
The SYMKLOUD MS2910 supports up to nine (9) hot swappable MSP8050 cards, each featuring two (2) x INTEL E3-1578Lv5 processors with the Intel Iris Pro P580 GPU all within a single 2U form factor.
ULTRA HIGH DENSITY PLATFORMS FOR FAST AND EFFICIENT SERVICE ROLL-OUTS
- High video workload density per watt for greater rack-level performance and TCO
- INTEL Media Studio SDK enables ease of deployment
- Allows complex analytics to run on unassigned CPUs
- Improved performance by physical data and control plane separation
- Seamless OpenStack (VMs and Bare Metal via Ironic) and Kubernetes (Docker) integration for cloud orchestration
- Ecosystem community of ISV video encoding and transcoding partners
This Ittiam and SYMKLOUD reference solution addresses the issue of density, energy efficiency, scalability and OPEX, and results in a better user experience for video subscribers. This cost-effective combined offering enables customers to leverage next generation high quality 4K HDR video resolution for exceptional user experiences.